Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hello, Cleveland! ... I mean, Darmstadt

On Saturday I'm going to Germany for the Darmstadt Book Festival, where I'm taking part in the BRITISCHE KRIMINACHT (British Crime Night). This is not, as you might suspect, a celebration of soccer hooliganism and recreational rioting, for which we British are still so famous. It is all about British crime writing. This explains why British thriller writers Matt Beynon Rees and Martin Walker are appearing alongside me; it does not entirely explain why I am appearing alongside them. The reason, of course, is that The Einstein Girl has been largely marketed in Germany as a crime thriller, which it really isn't, despite first appearances. Many on-line booksellers have duly categorised it as such, and no doubt many book shops have too. Personally, I don't have a problem with this, although some disappointed crime addicts might.
Das Einstein-Mädchen was on the official best seller list for nine weeks recently. It will be interesting to see if that has any impact on the size of the audience. I'm looking forward to it anyway.
Details of the event can be found here:
http://venyoo.de/s298731-7-kriminacht-very-british-mit-martin-walker-matt-rees-philip-sington#6264830

No comments: